Sunday, April 1, 2012

Whoa!!! I didn't know ....

that there are toucans at sian ka'an.

Check this out. It was taken at Muyil (a mayan temple across the lagoon from where we will be staying).

The rainbow-billed is the same as the keel-billed toucan. I found out two interesting things about toucans.

1)Their bills are 1/3 of the size of their body (can you imagine if our noses were that big). According to wikipedia, "While the bill seems large and cumbersome, it is in fact a spongy, hollow bone covered in keratin, a very light and hard protein."

2) Keel-billed toucans have zygodactyl feet (or feet with toes facing in different directions) - two toes face forward and two face back. Because toucans spend a large portion of time in the trees, this helps the birds to stay on the branches of the trees and hop from one branch to another.

Try saying zygodactyl three times fast!



I found this picture of one - I think I love toucans ---

No comments:

Post a Comment